The Carter Center is a 501(c)(3), not-for-profit, nongovernmental organization founded in 1982 in Atlanta, GA, by former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, in partnership with Emory University. The Center has helped to improve millions of lives in more than 80 countries by waging peace, fighting disease, and building hope. The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering. It seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
The Carter Center collaborates with other organizations, public or private, in carrying out its mission around the world. Current information about the Center’s many programs and activities are available at The Carter Center.
The Carter Center's Global Access to Information (ATI) Program works in partnership with governments, civil society, and international and regional bodies to improve governance and transform lives through a meaningful right of access to information.
The Program Assistant is responsible for providing support to the Global Access to Information Program. The Program Assistant will assist the Director and the Program by maintaining calendars, receiving and composing correspondence and inquiries, data management, handling logistics of domestic and international travel, drafting contracts, budgets, salary allocations and expenditures, and donor reports, writing routine reports and supporting development of new program materials, organizing meetings and events, liaise with other programs/departments. The Program Assistant also may conduct applied research and provide substantive support in one or more of the Global ATI Program's programmatic efforts.
- The ideal Program Assistant will possess a Bachelor's Degree in international relations, public policy, or related field and at least two years of work experience.
- Applicant should be detail-oriented, well organized, and committed to excellence, with a demonstrated capacity for problem-solving and good judgement.
- A high level of personal energy, a positive attitude and excellent sense of humor are essential.
- Prior administrative experience preferred.
- Strong written and communication skills and working knowledge of various personal computer software applications, e.g. Microsoft Word, Access database, Power Point, Microsoft SharePoint, and most importantly Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to quickly learn new software programs and electronic platforms is a must.
- Experience with international operations, accounts payable and receivable/expense processing and monitoring as well as event planning is a plus.
- Prior living or working experience in a developing country and Spanish language skills are desirable.
- Ability to travel internationally is required.
- Provides administrative and logistical support for projects, initiatives, and programs within an NGO environment.
- Assists assigned managers and team members by maintaining calendars, receiving and composing communications as correspondence, and replies to inquiries.
- Handles preparations, scheduling, logistics, and other various requirements for domestic and international travel.
- Drafts contracts, budgets, and donor reports with direction from manager.
- Processes financial documents including contracts, expense reports, invoices, etc.
- Writes routine reports and correspondence, and assists with the development of project/program materials.
- Organizes meetings and events.
- Works with and maintains data management and filing for projects/program.
- Serves as an administrator of work product with other programs/departments, i.e. finance, program development, public information, etc.
- Liaises and communicates with project consultants and field office staff, providing logistical and administrative support, as directed.
- Conducts research and provides support to one or more staff members in regards to project and programmatic efforts.
- May supervise work study students and volunteers.
- Performs other related duties as required.
A Bachelor's degree, or a high school diploma or equivalent and five years of administrative experience. Proficiency with various personal computer software applications.