This is a one year position only. Possibility of extension depends on grant availability
Full time position at a laboratory located at the Emory Vaccine Center with a focus on infectious disease research and flow cytometry. Primary duties will involve conducting multiparametric flow cytometry assays including processing of samples (human and non human primate tissues), staining, recording data and conducting preliminary analyses. The candidate will also perform a variety of other research and administrative activities (e.g. ordering lab supplies, managing inventories, laboratory organization and IACUC protocols) as needed to support various ongoing projects in the laboratory.
Previous experience in using flow cytometers (LSRII/Fortessa), flow cytometry data acquisition and analyses is a must for this position. Experience with mammalian cell culture and other immunological assays (ELISA, Multiplex, ex vivo stimulation) is desirable. The candidate will work independently as well as part of a team and is expected to have good communication, analytical, computer and organizational skills
FORMAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
- Under minimal supervision, performs a variety of specialized and complex research and laboratory tests and procedures.
- Uses independent judgment in applying or adapting scientific techniques.
- May assist in protocol design. Investigates and proposes alternative experimental procedures for consideration by a principal investigator.
- Assists in planning and scheduling research procedures. Analyzes and interprets results of studies.
- Demonstrates and trains others in the proper use/operation of laboratory techniques and equipment.
- Calibrates, troubleshoots and performs routine repair and maintenance of equipment.
- Reviews literature for related research developments and techniques and compiles findings.
- Monitors laboratory processes to maintain quality assurance standards.
- Records results of studies, compiles and analyzes data and prepares charts and graphs.
- Monitors the handling, storage and disposal of hazardous substances.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Employees in this classification may be required to work with, take specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents.
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific field and
- Two years of research experience, or equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.