Emory Integrated Metabolomics and Lipidomics Core
Research Specialist, Mass Spectrometry (Metabolomics)
Seeking a highly-motivated individual to serve as a Research Specialist in the Emory Integrated Metabolomics and Lipidomics Core (EIMLC) at Emory School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA. The Research Specialist is responsible for managing and performing liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) coupled analyses to generate high resolution metabolomics data for a variety of research projects in collaboration with research investigators. The individual will be expected to implement standard SOPs for specimen and tissue sample extraction and for LC-MS methods for a range of experimental and biological specimens handled in the EIMLC. In addition, the candidate will manage research sample receipt, handling and storage, communication with research investigators regarding technical aspects of data acquisition, and data flow from instrument to database repository.
- Operate and maintain general analytical instrumentation, Q-Exactive High Field Orbitrap, QTrap5500 mass spectrometer, etc, performing preventative maintenance and calibration.
- Prepare standard, reagent and sample preparations as required by the analytical method SOPs, maintain inventory of laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Assist in the design and documentation of SOPs and implementation of new analytic protocols.
- Work closely with the Metabolomics Research Scientist and Core Directors for timely completion of research studies, data delivery and communication to collaborating research investigators.
- Document work in electronic project and data notebooks and generate study reports and annual reports to administration for annual review
- Maintain appropriate documentation in electronic and data notebooks, data storage and archiving according to SOPs, and QC/QA documentation.
- Review and evaluate analytical data, write reports, and ensure compliance with methods, procedures, and standards is maintained.
- Evaluate and implement specific QA/QC criteria and have the ability to determine appropriate application and associated decision in regards to QA/QC validation and/or acceptance.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Candidates must have a BS or MS in Chemistry or a closely related science, and 3 years of experience.