Acute Care Surgery
This position is integral to the daily functioning of the Trauma and Acute Care Surgery Services. The position involves participation in daily patient care on the service involving patients in the trauma bay, operating rooms and general floors, including the following:
- The APP participates in all aspects of patient care from admission in the trauma bay to discharge home or to an aftercare facility as well as in the outpatient clinic.
- The APP works closely with the residents, fellows and faculty of the service to coordinate admissions and discharge planning as well as daily patient care, progress notes and extensive wound care for patients.
- The APP facilitates communication and coordination between the multiple services caring for the patient, (e.g. orthopedics, neurosurgery, urology, plastics, ENT, OMFS, ophthalmology, etc.).
- The APP coordinates and facilitates specialized testing and procedures needed by the patient (e.g. CT scans, MRIs, interventional radiological procedures) to expedite care. The APP works closely with other ancillary services (e.g. physical therapy, occupational therapy, social services and rehab facilities) to optimize the recovery process for patients.
- The APP plays a critical role in communicating with families providing updates on progress or complications and helping them to understand the traumatic injuries, treatment plans, recovery times, discharge plans and aftercare.
- The APP participates in the follow-up clinic coordinating outpatient care following discharge.