The Yerkes NHP Genomics Core is seeking a highly motivated candidate for a Lead Research Specialist position. The successful candidate would plan experiments and perform Next Generation Sequencing assays using Illumina HiSeq, MiSeq and 10X Genomics platforms.Candidate would be trained and execute a broad array of assays such as RNA-Seq, single-cell RNA-Seq, droplet capture, and usage of advanced robotics platforms.
- A background in biology, immunology or molecular biology is required.
- Candidate will support several large scale clinical trials and genome sequencing projects.
- Previous lab experience, particularly in molecular biology or NGS techniques is highly preferred.
- Under minimal supervision, performs a variety of specialized and complex research and laboratory tests and procedures.
- Uses independent judgment in applying or adapting scientific techniques.
- May assist in protocol design. Investigates and proposes alternative experimental procedures for consideration by a principal investigator.
- Assists in planning and scheduling research procedures. Analyzes and interprets results of studies.
- Demonstrates and trains others in the proper use/operation of laboratory techniques and equipment.
- Calibrates, troubleshoots and performs routine repair and maintenance of equipment.
- Reviews literature for related research developments and techniques and compiles findings.
- Monitors laboratory processes to maintain quality assurance standards.
- Records results of studies, compiles and analyzes data and prepares charts and graphs.
- Monitors the handling, storage and disposal of hazardous substances.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Employees in this classification may be required to work with, take specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents.
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific field AND
- 2 years of research experience, or equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.