The Emory University Global Health Institute (EGHI) is looking for an experienced communication professional to direct communication activities for two programs: 1) the Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) Network and 2) the International Association of National Public Health Institutes (IANPHI). CHAMPS, which is supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), collects and shares child mortality-related data from a network of sites in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. The CHAMPS network’s goal is to provide accurate, timely and more precise data on the causes of death and sickness for children under five to improve health outcomes and quality of life. IANPHI is a key partner in working with CHAMPS sites and countries. IANPHI is a member organization that links and strengthens national public health institutes. IANPHI has 108 members from 93 countries, with their key functions including disease surveillance, detection, and monitoring; outbreak investigation and control, including to public health emergencies; health information analysis for policy development; research; training; health promotion and health education; and laboratory science.
The CHAMPS-IANPHI Director of Communication will be responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating external partner and communication strategies that effectively supports each program individually and collectively. The director will expand CHAMPS and IANPHI reach, relevance, and impact with network members and external audiences as well as be actively involved in funding and sustainability efforts. Website and social media outreach and influence are fundamental to the success of this position.
- Work closely with CHAMPS and IANPHI senior leadership in planning, implementing, and evaluating communication strategies to advance the projects’ missions, priorities, and partnerships.
- Serve as a strategic advisor to CHAMPS and IANPHI senior leadership, and partnership and communication team members regarding key stakeholder, partner and membership identification and engagement, network and media communication and engagement, and website and social media activities.
- Provide supervision, strategic direction, and mentorship to the CHAMPS-IANPHI partnership and communication team members.
- Develop and implement a strategic communication vision for a) CHAMPS that raises its profile and visibility among public health organizations, potential funders, and those who should utilize its data and resources, communicates its value and the value of CHAMPS surveillance data, and supports continued investment in the CHAMPS surveillance network and b) IANPHI that raises its profile and visibility among public health organizations and potential funders, communicates its value and the value of membership, and generates member and other investment in the organization.
- Ensure that grant, cooperative agreement, and other funding source deliverables related to communication efforts and activities meet needed outcomes and are timely achieved.
- Oversee the management, planning, direction, and implementation of proactive communication programs for CHAMPS and IANPHI that build and strengthen the reputation and value of each and help achieve the attainment of CHAMPS and IANPHI program goals and initiatives.
- Continually review the public health landscape (e.g., media coverage) to identify key influencers, conferences, networking opportunities, events, speaking and media opportunities, etc. to raise the profile of both CHAMPS and IANPHI and to foster awareness and use of CHAMPS and IANPHI resources.
- Prepare communication strategies, materials, and key messages for CHAMPS and IANPHI senior leadership, including ones related to external funding initiatives.
- Design, implement, and evaluate website and social media strategies and plans, including helping to conceptualize and craft website and social media content that is relevant and engaging to CHAMPS and IANPHI partners and target audiences.
- Work with CHAMPS-IANPHI partner and communication team members to ensure that new information and well-designed, engaging content (e.g., updates, articles, stories, OpEds, tweets, videos) are regularly developed and posted on CHAMPS and IANPHI websites and social media platforms.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Emory University, EGHI, IANPHI, and CHAMPS colleagues, funders and stakeholders, key influencers, current and potential partners, network members, and media representatives.
- Provide support, consultation, and technical advice to CHAMPS and IANPHI senior leadership and professional staff on communication principles, approaches, and methods to build awareness and increase the value of the CHAMPS and IANPHI brands.
- Develop policies and procedures related to communication and engagement plans and activities, and implement guidelines and processes that foster use and adherence to them.
- Develop and implement plans that enable assessment or evaluation of engagement, and communication activities, including website and social media analytics and metrics.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the public health environment, issues, and trends that affect achievement of CHAMPS and IANPHI goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in a communication or marketing communication-related field, such Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, or Marketing. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience in partnerships, public relations, and external communication, with membership organization and public health experience preferred.
- Experience supervising, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications, public relations, social media, website, and/or partnerships specialists.
- Substantial experience with network or membership organization communication and engagement, particularly to proactively engage members, build membership engagement and growth, and foster use of membership or network resources.
- Ability to design and continuously evolve partnership, engagement, social media, and public relations strategies that increase the visibility and value of CHAMPS and IANPHI among current and prospective partners and target audiences.
- Successful experience in communication planning, project management, and implementing strategic and multidimensional member and/or network outreach, engagement, and communication projects.
- Strong team and project management skills with the ability to deliver on time and on budget, and deliver high quality deliverables is a must.
- Experienced and skilled writer with ability to distill complex organizational, science, and public health issues into clear and compelling messages and materials, including via speeches, talking points and key messages, print publications, website content, video, fact sheets, social media content, newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, and funding/grant proposals.
- Experience using websites and social media as primary communication channels, including deep familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Snapchat, and Instagram.
- Experience with using social media listening tools, including social media analytics and metrics.
- Ability to prioritize and manage numerous projects, products and deadlines.
- Experience leading and developing a team of partnership and communication professionals.
- Highly developed customer service and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to work both collaboratively and independently as part of a small team.
- Experience with graphic design, video production, and/or photography adds value.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Some travel, including international travel, may be required.