Supports the day-to-day activities of a team of Pre-Award Specialists. Monitors workload distribution and raises any concerns to the Research Administration Services (RAS) Director. Provides guidance to team members, as appropriate. Coordinates with RAS Director regarding pre-award activities, issue resolution, and workload distribution. Works with Post-Award team lead to coordinate inter-team meetings to facilitate collaboration between the pre-award and post-award teams, as necessary and appropriate. Manages pre-award activities for an assigned portfolio of grants and contracts within a RAS unit using knowledge of grant and contract management rules and regulations, technical expertise, and analytical skills. Manages the day-to-day operations and objectives in support of the assigned portfolio. Contributes information and ideas related to areas of responsibility as part of a cross functional team. Ensures effective and efficient workflow and adherence to quality standards for staff/program and self. Performs pre-award activities for a unit (school, department, or division) within a RAS unit.
- Pre-award activities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting departmental faculty/PI in the development, preparation, and submission of grant and contract proposals.
- Ensures all applications meet agency and university guidelines and published time tables and deadlines, including management of the Just-In-Time process.
- Ensures proposals are entered and routed in a timely manner for further review.
- Confers with PI and Pre-award support staff at collaborating institutions to secure necessary sub-awards documents for proposals.
- Assists the PI in the development of budgets and budget justification which includes proofing the budget for inconsistencies and ensuring accuracy.
- Reviews budgets for consistency with sponsor, monitors compliance with agency and University regulations regarding submission; verifies all financial information to include application of the appropriate overhead rate for the project.
- Advises the PI on administrative requirements in preparing proposal submissions and on budget adjustments and revisions necessary to meet the sponsor requirements.
- Coordinates and reviews certain proposal elements (biosketches and facilities & resources) for consistency, accuracy, and completeness.
- Reviews proposals for consistency with sponsor guidelines on budget, format, font size, page limits excluding narrative content (obtain and review sponsor guidelines).
- Monitors and facilitates proposal process through the routing process in compliance with University procedures and institutional signatures.
- Obtains signatures as needed.
- Monitors proposal status and advises PI on requirements and deadlines associated with research protection protocols. Works effectively with other offices (central, school, departments, divisions) on research proposal.
Performs related responsibilities as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree and 5 years of work-related grants and contracts experience OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Knowledge of federal rules and regulations relating to research grant and/or contract activity. Proficiency with MS Office Suite software.