Yerkes National Primate Research Center is seeking a candidate possessing molecular biology experience as well as some familiarity with computer coding/programming.
This candidate upon training will oversee molecular procedures performed on two robotic systems, and assist genomics team with coding as well as creating DNA libraries for analysis.
He/She will also support fellow laboratory members with operation of a software platform developed in the laboratory for next generation sequencing. Finally, the person selected will share lab maintenance tasks with fellow staff members.
- Under minimal supervision, performs a variety of specialized and complex research and laboratory tests and procedures. Uses independent judgment in applying or adapting scientific techniques.
- May assist in protocol design. Investigates and proposes alternative experimental procedures for consideration by a principal investigator.
- Assists in planning and scheduling research procedures. Analyzes and interprets results of studies.
- Demonstrates and trains others in the proper use/operation of laboratory techniques and equipment.
- Calibrates, troubleshoots and performs routine repair and maintenance of equipment. Reviews literature for related research developments and techniques and compiles findings.
- Monitors laboratory processes to maintain quality assurance standards.
- Records results of studies, compiles and analyzes data and prepares charts and graphs.
- Monitors the handling, storage and disposal of hazardous substances.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Employees in this classification may be required to work with, take specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents.
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific field and
- Two years of research experience, or equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.