Yerkes National Primate Research's Field Station in Lawrenceville, GA is seeking an Animal Care Supervisor to lead their Animal Care Trainees and Technicians at the facility.
Experience working in animal care with non-human primates is a necessity, as well as experience working in a supervisory role in this area of focus.
- Supervises the daily operation of one large non-human primate animal facility at the Yerkes Field Station in Lawrenceville, Georgia.
- Assists investigative, colony management, and veterinary staff as well as colony management and behavioral staff members.
- Observes animals for signs of illness, trauma, or social instability and reports abnormalities to the appropriate veterinary staff.
- Monitors the administration of special diets and medication.
- Supervises the maintenance of research animals, their cages, other equipment, as well as some minor associated facilities issues.
- Ensures that the facility complies with federal animal and research regulations.
- May collect medical specimens.
- Trains and supervises animal care staff. Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Employees in this classification may be required to work with, take specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Four years of animal husbandry or related animal care experience which must include one year of laboratory animal experience and one year in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Evidence of an insurable driving record may be required. The ability to lift up to 75 pounds.
AALAS technician certification preferred, CMAR certification desired.