The Senior Research Specialist will perform a range of advanced research and laboratory tests and procedures including constructing and cloning recombinant DNA and preparaing recombinantly expressed proteins for biochemical assays.
- Independently performs a wide range of highly technical and complex research and laboratory tests and procedures.
- Devises highly specialized research procedures by applying a knowledge of advanced research techniques and equipment.
- Provides input to protocol development.
- Serves as a technical resource for other research personnel.
- Analyzes and interprets the results of studies.
- Investigates and recommends alternative approaches to improve the quality of results.
- Trains research staff in specialized procedures and theoretical concepts for unique tests.
- Recommends new equipment and supplies needed for specialized procedures.
- Provides input into the development of departmental goals and objectives.
- May assist in grant and other funding application preparation.
- Review literature for related research developments and techniques.
- Prepares written materials, charts and graphs on specialized techniques and research results for publication or presentation.
- Oversees quality assurance of research performed by others.
- Monitors the handling, storage and disposal of hazardous substances.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Employees in this classification may be required to work with, take specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents.
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific field and four years of research experience, OR equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.