Works as part of an agile team to design, implement and revise API Services, microservices and software integration applications using event driven architecture/service-oriented architecture. Within Emory University’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) organization, the API Services Development Team is looking for a motivated team member with backend development experience using Java technologies. The API Services Solution Engineer is responsible for developing enterprise services in support and advancement of Emory University’s mission. Client facing applications and 3rd part applications are used across the university to support critical research administration processes, investigator-led and program-wide research endeavors, and other core functions for Emory University. This role ensures that sleek, performant code is produced in a manner consistent with the Emory and industry style and best practices. Collaborates with clients and stakeholders in the development of requirements. Stays abreast of the state of the art API Services, microservices and software integration leading edge technology through self and group study. Leads the evaluation of emerging technologies and promotes their usage. Acts as a mentor to junior staff. Acts as the technical lead for one or more code bases (primarily Java, Spring and RedHat). Performs other related duties as required.
- Works independently to provide functional analysis and then design and implement technical solutions.
- Consults with appropriate staff to develop requirements and specifications for enterprise applications.
- Implements developed applications and provides customer support.
- Consults with customers to understand business problems and develops technical solutions.
- Provides technical expertise on applications, technical tools and software.
- Analyzes and resolves problems resulting from vendor fixes and upgrades.
- May lead small projects and resolve software or business related problems.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Ten years of information technology experience which includes experience in the application of vendor software fixes and upgrades OR a bachelor's degree in computer science, management information systems or directly related field and eight years of experience which includes experience in the application of vendor software fixes and upgrades.
- Positions in this classification may require knowledge of one or more programming languages and/or a knowledge of an application and application tools.
- Eight years of application development experience with a framework such as Java/Spring, J2EE, Camel Components OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience with API Services, SOA and integration between systems.
- Experience with server-side/back-end development.
- Experience collaborating on software via version control. Fundamental linux skills. Understanding of Object Oriented Analysis and Design principles and of N-tier application architecture, and software design patterns.
- Strong experience in the application integration architecture, solution design, and development using SOA, API Services and microservices best practices and patterns.
- Experience with OpenAPI Spec, MuleSoft and/or Red Hat Fuse and Apache Camel is preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of best practices, development methodologies (particularly Agile) & standards
- Principled approach to delivering high-quality solutions, based on established frameworks and patterns to implement and deploy solutions, and completed on schedule and in scope, even when faced with ambiguity, uncertainties, and competing priorities.
- Strong technical background in Java technology stack and its eco-systems including the common open source frameworks, core Java, JMS, XML, JSON, JDBC, JPA, HTTP, OAuth, SOAP, REST.
- Familiar with common open source frameworks and libraries such as Log4j, Hibernate, Spring, Jersey, Axis2.
- Experience in API development and DevOps with ability to instrument pipeline automation and CI/CD.
- Familiar with common development tools such as Eclipse, Ant, Maven, SVN, GitHub.
- Knowledgeable about AWS-based cloud development technologies and trends
- Demonstrate ability to coach, inspire and mentor junior software engineers
- Experience working on different projects simultaneously, and capable of cultivating collaboration
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills with a proven ability interacting with all levels of management, stakeholders, support personnel, and customers.
NOTE: This role will be granted the opportunity to work from home temporarily during the COVID-19 pandemic, with intent to return to an Emory University location in the future. Emory reserves the right to change this status with notice to employee.