The American Academy of Religion (AAR) is a non-profit affiliate of Emory University and is the largest scholarly society dedicated to the academic study of religion, with more than 8,000 members around the world. Our mission is to foster excellence in the academic study of religion and enhance the public understanding of religion.
The Director of Marketing & Communications at AAR will design and implement innovative campaigns that increase awareness of the AAR's programs, membership benefits, and the overall mission.
- Actively manages all AAR websites and multimedia platforms, ensuring alignment with branding, goals, programs and mission.
- Uses effective storytelling in the promotion of the brand, the organization, and its mission and goals.
- Provides direct supervision to the Writer and Content Creator.
- Ensures that content is updated, engaging and consistent across all websites and social media channels, managing the design, look, and feel.
- Orchestrates content strategies across multiple platforms, from AAR websites to social media channels, email networks, videos, and print materials when needed.
- Manages all AAR websites, ensuring content is engaging, current, aligned, and consistent across the various sectors/units.
- Regularly generates, curates, and assigns content as needed for campaigns, strategic initiatives, and presentations.
- Collaborates with others to develop and implement programs and communications material for targeted audiences that enhance awareness of AAR's events, publications, services and programs.
- Implements and manages a content calendar that aligns with marketing and programmatic efforts. Serves as internal marketing consultant for programs and services.
- Manages the design and production of AAR promotional and collateral materials.
- Manages digital marketing activities through research, strategic planning, and implementation.
- Reviews and analyzes data and metrics to report impacts, define strategies and drive decision making.
- Recruits and manages freelance writers, graphic artists, photographers, vendors, and related resources.
- Manage interns and temporary student workers, where appropriate.
- Collaborates with others to plan, create, and publish marketing content and materials for the Annual Meeting.
- Works the Annual Meeting as assigned to support the successful execution of the event.
- Participate in the committee/jury/task force meetings, as assigned.
- Ensures that the work of the committee/jury/task force is aligned with the charge of the Board of Directors.
- Ensures that committee/jury/task force Chair stays abreast of AAR policies and procedures.
- Facilitates communication between committee/juries/task force and AAR staff regarding activities, including requests for action and/or proposed policies.
- Maintains important documents relevant to the committee/jury/task force, such as previous committee rosters, minutes, policies and procedures, and other important records.
- Guides the management and usage of AAR budgetary allocations for the committee/jury/task force where applicable.
- Guides the timely development and submission of all required reporting, i.e. the annual committee report.
- Makes regular reports to AAR staff on activities, work, and changes related to committee(s)/jury/task force.
- Ensures that new Committee Chairs and members complete proper orientation to their role and responsibilities.
- Serves as a contributing member of the Management Team of AAR.
- Prepares, administers, and monitors area budget and work plan.
- Stays abreast of industry trends and works with the leadership team to strategize, develop, implement, evaluate and revise (as necessary) plans to allow the AAR to serve as a leader among learned societies.
- Identifies opportunities for process improvement and assists with implementing new processes.
- Ensures marketing and communications policies and standard operating procedures are aligned with best practices and are in accordance with AAR's strategic direction and organizational goals.
- Coordinates and collaborates with the staff and leadership of other departments as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A bachelor's degree in business administration with a concentration in marketing, advertising, or public relations, journalism or a related field, and five years of marketing experience in a non-profit environment.
- Experience working in a membership association is a plus.
- Five years of demonstrated leadership, management and supervision experience is required.
- Must possess strong advertising skills and knowledge of digital advertising.
- Multimedia experience preferred, including creating and editing videos and podcasts.
- General understanding of Facebook for Business, Google Ads and Amazon Marketplace a plus, but not required.
- A master's degree is preferred.
NOTE: This role will be granted the opportunity to work from home temporarily during the COVID-19 pandemic, with intent to return to an Emory University location in the future. Emory reserves the right to change this status with notice to employee