The Task Force for Global Health, founded nearly 40 years ago to advance health equity, works with partners in more than 150 countries to eliminate diseases, ensure access to vaccines and essential medicines, and strengthen health systems to protect populations. Expertise includes neglected tropical diseases and other infectious diseases; vaccine safety, distribution and access; and health systems strengthening. For more information, visit www.taskforce.org.
The Public Health Informatics Institute (PHII) is a program of the Task Force for Global Health, a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization. Our staff is comprised of professionals in the areas of public health, healthcare, information systems and communications—all well-versed in the current and emerging issues facing public health. PHII is known for its expertise as a neutral convener of public health professionals and their stakeholders, transforming health practitioners’ ability to apply information effectively in order to improve health outcomes worldwide. Since 1992, PHII has assisted public health organizations in defining and leveraging the power of information systems to meet public health needs. For more information, visit our website at www.phii.org.
TRAVEL: 10-20% domestic and international travel is required.
- As part of the Task Force for Global Health, leads, manages, and provides direct supervision for project teams that consist of informatics Analysts and Project Managers.
- May also lead and manage matrix teams that include business analysts, Information Architects, and Data Analysts to complete quality deliverables within scope, on time, and within budget.
- Ensures that project teams apply informatics standards and methodologies to complete project objectives.
- Provides oversight to project teams providing public health agencies with recommendations on informatics strategy and technical solutions for electronic sharing of clinical and public health information.
- Provides guidance to project teams to Identify relevant standards to support programmatic needs, including vocabulary and terminology standards, information content standards, information exchange standards, privacy and security standards, functional standards, and others as needed.
- Provides support in identifying and managing risks to projects.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with clients, direct reports, project team and other staff.
- Communicates project work and informatics issues through conference presentations, reports, and journal articles. Performs other related duties as required.
- Implements uniform administrative procedures and systems across project team. Hires, trains and supervises staff.
- Trains, supervises, and mentors Practice Support staff, specialists and/or contractors.
- Conducts analysis of health informatics issues and prepares written summary documents.
- Manage the evaluation of their assigned projects and monitor the attainment of goals and objectives.
- Develop and oversee the creation of deliverables for the assigned projects.
- Works with stakeholders to design, implement and/or evaluate informatics products, projects and strategies to effectively address priority public health needs.
- Takes initiative in identifying informatics needs and opportunities, and in proposing innovative solutions.
- Manages direct reports and personal activities and deliverables.
- Attends conferences/meetings and reviews literature in order to stay abreast of current knowledge and issues
- Prepares and delivers talks at meetings and conferences on public health informatics related topics.
- Stays current with public health informatics knowledge and skills, especially in the areas of system integration, system interoperability, and health information exchange between healthcare entities and public health agencies.
Identifies legal, confidentiality, security, and other concerns that might affect information collection, storage, access, and use.
- Facilitates project teams and provides oversight to ensure programmatic objectives are achieved.
- Develops and disseminates work product from assigned areas of responsibility to national stakeholders through formal reports, peer-reviewed journal articles, and at scientific conferences.
- Serves as a liaison to various groups and other organizations.
- Participates in writing of grant proposals, and prepare and present reports to funding organizations and to clients.
- Works closely with the business analysts and project managers to ensure the goals and deliverables are well defined, the project appropriately resourced, and that the deliverables meet the funder’s quality expectations within the project budget and timelines.
- Participate fully as a member of the Task Force for Global Health by contributing, assisting and participating in projects, activities, and initiatives as requested by management.
- Responsible for learning about the customers, their mission, needs, general business processes, and cultures.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- A bachelor's degree in informatics, business, engineering, science or related field and seven years of related IT experience including demonstrated technical expertise in specific IT areas, project management skills and lead/supervisory experience, OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Extensive experience in the implementation and production support of an enterprise system.
- A master's degree is preferred.
- Master’s degree in public health related field.
- Eight years of experience specifically related to the position including (at least three years) in public health informatics.
- Five years of experience in public health program areas of immunization, surveillance, vital records or direct services and/or working with Electronic Health Record systems, and/or health data standards or equivalent combination of experience, education and training.
- Demonstrated strong professional oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to interact with both internal staff and external clients with diplomacy and tact.
- Experience working with a public health agency.
- Previous experience with Immunization Information Systems / Immunization Registries
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and work-related priorities.
- Experience with standards (HL7, LOINC, SNOWMED, ICD10).
- Proven ability to implement projects.
- Previous supervisory experience and demonstrated ability to lead or manage a team.